OK, after reading all of your comments about the hunger you speak to from yesterday’s post, today’s marketing lesson is about “specificity“.
One of the secret ingredients of great marketing is being laser specific with the problems you address and the desires you fulfill.
Here are some examples of NON-specificity:
- I help people feel desired.
- I help people be seen.
- I help people find clarity in their lives.
- I help people connect with themselves.
While these phrases might “feel true” to you, they don’t actually mean anything to someone hearing them on the other side.
Here are the same points above, created WITH specificity:
- I help couples who have been in relationship for years to re-kindle their sexual fire again.
- I help experts who have been hiding out to get booked on more stages to share their message with more people.
- I help people who are stuck in jobs they hate to get clear on what type of work will light them up again.
- I help people suffering from low-self esteem to finally feel confident and empowered.
Do you see the difference?
One is trying to “speak to everyone”, and as a result, it feels very flat and generic.
The second is speaking to a very specific tribe, and as a result, promises a clear outcome you can “see”.
Obviously, the second approach is much stronger and more effective for you.
Here’s how to apply this in your own business.
Once again, write down the hunger of your tribe. But this time, be even more specific.
What specifically do they hunger to accomplish? What specifically are they struggling with? What specifically can you help them achieve?
You’ll find that this approach “forces you” to define your tribe in a much clearer and more drilled-down way.
And when you can create your words to be so specific and clear with who you are speaking to, what specific problems you solve, and what specific desires/hunger you fulfill, that’s when things really start to take off.
Try again! Share your specificity sentences with me below and I’ll give you my thoughts on how on-point they are.
And remember (in case nobody has told you this lately)… you deserve to be successful.
You deserve to be well-compensated for your gifts.
You deserve to contribute to this world.
Just wanted you to know.
Ok, have an amazing day my friend….